Thursday, July 13, 2017

EDTECH 543: Social Media Policies

My Classroom Social Media Policy


Although my school currently do not allow personal devices or social media use in the classroom, I am hoping that the policies I develop can be presented as a potential framework for the future.  There are great ways to safely integrate social media into lesson plans if there are policies that all parties involved understand.  I would ask for feedback from administration and the technology coordinator about how to go about framing this information, but its summer.  I have created an acronym for my policy - FOOTPRINTS.  I chose this word to connect to the students understanding of leaving a positive digital footprint.  I would like this to be evaluated by teachers and administration and it is open to editing if the school sees certain policies that need to be laid out more clearly.

I researched various articles and research about policies that are important and tried to sum it up with ten key rules.  I believe adding more than ten would be overwhelming for my middle school students and they would be less likely to remember the importance of the rules.  I prepared a Google Slides presentation to show to students and parents about the school technology policies.  It is important to be transparent so everyone understands the expectations and the potential consequences of their technology use.  During the presentation I plan on discussing in further detail about each of the key points to make sure the students and parents are clear on the school's polices.  After my presentation I plan on emailing the parents via SchoolSpeak to share the presentation to everyone who was unable to attend the meeting.  Also I provided time during at the end of the presentation to ask questions.  Students and parents are welcome to email me with any future questions or concerns.



Classroom Social Media Policy - FOOTPRINTS
Link to Social Media Use Form - SOCIAL MEDIA


References

Anderson, S. (2012, May 07). How to Create Social Media Guidelines for Your School. Retrieved July 13, 2017, from https://www.edutopia.org/how-to-create-social-media-guidelines-school


Cofino, K. (n.d.). Connected Learning Community. Retrieved July 13, 2017, from http://kimcofino.com/blog/2012/08/26/orientation-2-0/ 


How to Create Social Media Guidelines for Your School. (n.d.). Retrieved July 14, 2017, from https://www.edutopia.org/social-media-guidelines-resource-guide?utm_source=facebook


TeachThoughtStaff. (2017, July 06). 11 Sample Education BYOT Policies To Help You Create Your Own. Retrieved July 13, 2017, from http://www.teachthought.com/the-future-of-learning/technology/11-sample-education-byot-policies-to-help-you-create-your-own/

No comments:

Post a Comment